GreenStage, Seattle’s longest running Shakespeare company, is seeking a new Marketing Director to join our year-round staff. Our ideal candidate for this position is someone familiar with the company, our mission, Shakespeare, and our style of performance.
The position is paid a modest monthly stipend, as an independent contractor. We are looking for someone to help keep the company growing, and to spread the word about our programs. Below is the full job description, if you want to help out, please send cover letter and resume to Ken Holmes at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Position: Marketing Director
Company Summary: GreenStage has been presenting free Shakespeare in the Park in and around Seattle since 1989. Our mission is to inspire audiences to engage with live theater as part of their recreation. Our productions are free in order to foster and engagement with the works of William Shakespeare and other classic plays by removing economic and geographic barriers that can prevent people from attending live theatre. We present Shakespeare’s plays simply, focusing on the text, story, characters and relationships in the play.
2020 will be our 32nd season of presenting free theatre in the parks. With an average of 60 performances each summer in over 20 Seattle area parks, GreenStage performs for thousands of people together annually. GreenStage also manages the annual Seattle Outdoor Theater Festival, a two day free event that features performances by 10 local companies at Volunteer Park, and serves as the unofficial launching pad of the outdoor theater season.
Job Purpose: The Marketing Director is the primary driver for GreenStage’s contact with existing and potential audiences, press, patrons, and donors. The Marketing Director will develop and plan the Marketing approach each season, and be the lead for production and implementation of marketing materials and communication strategies. Maintenance and copy writing for the email newsletters, social media, website content, brochure and playbill are required; development of new Marketing programs is encouraged.
Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Write copy for press releases, programs, grant proposals, website, social media, etc.
- Work with key staff on the planning, scheduling, and implementing of marketing and promotions in a manner that most effectively uses allotted budgets
- Work with graphic designers to create marketing materials such as flyers, posters, mailers, and web content, and coordinate the method in which those materials are delivered to the public, including, but not limited to, marketing via postal mail, email, and social media
- Work to create marketing materials that are professional and match company branding
- Identify potential Marketing opportunities
- Public Relations and Communications:
- Maintain and build good relationships with press contacts
- Announce GreenStage’s season, events and opportunities to press contacts
- Maintain and expand GreenStage’s social media (e.g. Facebook, Twitter, Instagram) presence
- Promote GreenStage through periodic e-newsletter and email list contact
- Contact city-wide and neighborhood-specific calendars to promote GreenStage performances and events
- Work with the Web Manager to cross-post e-news, social media posts, announcements, etc. as website content
- Development and donor relations
- Work with board and staff to communicate and strengthen relationships with current and potential donor base
- Work with Managing Director and Board of Directors to identify funding opportunities and creating strategies for presenting GreenStage to granting organizations in the most favorable manner
- Work with Managing Director on copy for grant proposals
- Attend fundraisers and productions as needed
- Attend monthly staff meetings
- Other duties may arise throughout the year, within reason, and with ample notice
- Attend monthly staff meetings, fundraisers, and productions (as necessary).
- Website and social media content to be updated regularly throughout the year, with heavier work load during our summer season, May-August.
Reports to: Managing Director
Supervises: Volunteer-generated content on social media outlets
Working conditions: Primarily work from home. Monthly staff meetings at or near the Starbuck’s Building SoDo
COMPENSATION: $200 per month stipend
- Access to computer and internet
- Effective time management skills and proactive work ethic
- Strong copywriting and editing skills
- Excellent interpersonal, written and oral communication skills
- Attention to detail
- Experience with digital marketing forms such as social media marketing and content management website systems
- Competency/willingness to learn the use of Constant Contact, WordPress, Flikr, etc.
- Passion for local theater, Shakespeare, Seattle Parks, and/or GreenStage’s specific mission!
GreenStage is committed to providing equal opportunities to all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender, genetics, or any other characteristic.